West Grimstead comprises just over 150 households with a population of around 300.
This quiet, peaceful village is mentioned in the Doomsday book and has a Village
Hall built in 1912/13. A Methodist Chapel was built in 1825 and closed in 2009.
St. John’s West Grimstead
We have no knowledge of anything like exactitude in respect of when St. John’s may
have been built but it is well over 700 years old. Local tradition has it that it
was built during the reign of William Rufus, sometime between the years 1087-1100.
The first Rector is recorded to have taken up his post in 1294. In 1994, on the
700th anniversary of the recording of the first Rector of West Grimstead, a beautiful
new stained glass window was commissioned. It was installed in December 1996 and
dedicated at the village carol service that year. It is called The Tree of Life and
can be seen in the south east aisle of the church.
In Edward Hutton's "Highways and Byways of Wiltshire" (1917) we find the words ‘At
West Grimstead there is a little old church, very reverent and homely and still.
The whole humble building is worth a close and loving inspection, and is a delight
on a lonely road'. We have recently had the roof tiles and felt stripped and replaced
in order to treat the roof timbers.
At St. John’s there are three Sunday services in the Church per month:
1st Sunday: Morning Worship 9.30am
2nd Sunday: Eucharist with choir 11.00am
3rd Sunday: Lay Led worship 9.30am (at the home of Lindy Paramor)
4th Sunday: BCP Holy Communion 8.00am
There is a weekly Prayer Group and we run an annual Lent Study Group and house groups.
Information and contacts
All information about Village and Church life can be found in West Grimstead Village
Village Magazine. It is published ten times a year and is delivered free to every
Malcolm Read (Churchwarden)01722 712302
Graham Paramor (Churchwarden)01722 710019
Being a small village, nothing very exciting takes place. We rely upon quieter pleasures,
such as the compliments we receive since quantities of snowdrops and daffodils were
planted in the churchyard, and the appreciation of the quintessentially rustic atmosphere
created around this ancient place of worship by the sheep grazing there later in